By Daniel Chigunwe
A 20 year old woman died last week after she was electrocuted by a laundry wire that was connected to faulty electricity lines at Willmode farm compound in Mvurwi.
Ranganai Kapombedza who was also a work at the farm died on admission at Mvurwi Hospital.
Mashonaland Central Provincial police spokesperson Inspector Milton Mundembe confirmed the incident saying the woman was electrocuted whilst removing clothes from a laundry wire which was connected to illegal electricity wires in the compound.
“Kampombedza of Willmode farm in Mvurwi died last week after she was electrocuted at the compound where several houses are reported to have illegal electricity connections.
“She was removing clothes from a laundry wire which was somehow connected to electricity wires running in the compound houses when all of sudden she screamed holding the wire prompting neighbours to come to her rescue.
“Unfortunately she died upon arrival at the hospital and investigations by the police and Zesa are still underway to establish the state of the compound which is said to have numerous illegal electricity connections,” said Mundembe.
Meanwhile, Mazowe North legislator Cde Campion Mugweni has expressed worry over the continued accidents claiming lives at Willmode farm following a recent incident where a 17 year old girl also died after being ran over by a tractor in December while picking tobacco at the farm’s fields.
“It is very worrisome that within a space of two months we have lost two lives at the same farm in a case of negligence and low regard of human lives.
“Kapombedza was a mother who was fending for her two kids who are now orphaned because of negligence, there is need for farm owners to safeguard their worker’s families and to improve the welfare of people living in these compounds,” he said.
Efforts to get a comment from the farm management were futile however Willmode which is owned by the Chanda Family is currently leased to a Chinese company called Angel and Buck Investment.